There are several routes in Istanbul that are enjoyed walking. One of these routes is the Eminönü-Balat line. Because many of the civilizations whose fate converged with Istanbul lived in this part, and Istanbul began to arise from this location. This area is unique in terms of historical magnificence. Here are ten places to see while walking from Eminonu to Balat.
This place, which is known to almost all the world, is one of the first places visited by Istanbul visitors. This place, which is one of the oldest shopping centres in the world, was built by Fatih Sultan Mehmet in 1460. Spread over 65 streets, the bazaar has been in service for 500 years. There are close to 4000 shops and workshops. When you come here, you can find toys, clothes, silk and leather products, carpets and souvenirs.
Suleymaniye Mosque, built by Mimar Sinan in the name of Suleiman the Magnificent between 1550-1557, is one of the most notable examples of classical Ottoman architecture. The reason that the mosque has four minarets is that Suleiman the Magnificent was the fourth Ottoman sultan after the conquest of Istanbul. The mosque is one of the striking buildings with its magnificent acoustics. The famous nargile narrative between Süleyman the Magnificent and Mimar Sinan took place in the Süleymaniye Mosque.
Galata Bridge, built on the Golden Horn, joins Karaköy and Eminönü. This bridge is one of the landmarks of Istanbul. The present structure was completed in 1994 and put into service. Four hundred ninety meters in length and the tramway bridge scales makes it one of the rare buildings in the world. The first bridge connecting the Golden Horn was built in 1845 and undergone many renovations. In the years of 1863, 1875 and 1912 the bridge was renewed. The bridge, which became the symbol of the city, was burnt down in 1992 and its name changed to “Historic Galata Bridge”. The old bridge was taken to the Hasköy side, and a new one was built instead.
One of the most important and most beautiful museums of the Historical Peninsula, Turkey Isbank Museum, shed light on the period of the Republican era and the Turkish banking. Founded in 2005, this museum tells the story of İşbank from its establishment to the present with photographs, documents, films and objects. The building was used as the Istanbul Post Office during the Ottoman Period. The museum is an important museum that can be visited with the family.
The construction of this monument, which was commissioned by Damat Rüstem Pasha, the grand vizier of Suleiman the Magnificent and at the same time his son-in-law, started in 1561 and was completed in 1564. The architect of the mosque was Mimar Sinan. This place, which is described as preparation for the works of Mimar Sinan to his mastery period, rises in a dominant position in the Golden Horn.
Ahi Çelebi Mosque is the mosque where Evliya Çelebi dreamed of “Travel oh Rasulullah” instead of “Intercession oh Rasulullah”. The mosque has been flooded many times in history due to its location by the sea. Since the mosque does not have an inscription, its construction date is unclear. However, it is thought that it was built around 1480 in terms of construction.
This church was built in 1836 and is connected to Istanbul Fener Greek Orthodox Patriarchate which has been the centre of Orthodoxy since the 6th century. The church is located behind the ancient sea walls of the Golden Horn. There are relics and mosaics from the Byzantine period in the church. There is a column which is considered as the Prophet Jesus was flogged on it in Jerusalem, the 5th patriarchal throne and the three saint’s coffins in the church. The church was destroyed in the fire of 1941, it was restored in 1989 and reopened in 1991.
The Bulgarian Church of Sveti Stefan, located on the shores of the Golden Horn of the Fener district, is wholly cast iron. The purpose of the church is that the Bulgarian Orthodox community in the Ottoman Empire did not have its own churches and worshipped in the Fener Greek Orthodox Patriarchate. With the nationalist movements in the 19th century, such demand came from the Bulgarians, and the sultan accepted it. The church is the project of the Istanbul-based architect Housep Aznavur. All parts of the structure were brought from Austria in 1896 over the Black Sea and Danube River and mounted here.
With the conquest of Istanbul, Byzantine rulers and merchants took refuge in France, Italy and the Aegean islands. Consequently, Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror announced to the Orthodox people that they could efficiently train and worship. The Byzantines returned to the city in groups, and in 1454 a school was established with the agreement between Fatih Sultan Mehmet and Patriarch Gennadios and this school was named as “Greek School” and “Patriarchate Academy”. This school has been given ample opportunities. Many people who were in high positions in the Ottoman Empire were educated there, and in 1861 a new building was built for high school, which started to give classical education. The magnificent building that survived to the present day was built in 1881 by the architect Dimadis.